Lares Trek 4 Days 3 NightsBook Now
This trek is an excellent alternative for those who want to get off the ‘beaten track’ and have an insight into authentic communities whilst being surrounded by stunning mountain, lake and valley landscapes. It begins from a small village in the Sacred Valley and ascends to 2 passes over 4000 metres (13123 feet) passing through traditional, colourful villages to finish in the relaxing hot springs in Lares.
We pick you up from your hotel at around 7am and travel by bus for approximately 2 hours to Huaran (2840m/9317ft), a small village in the Sacred Valley and the start of the trek. We will meet our horseman and mules here and begin the beautiful hike through the lush valley, following the gentle uphill route of the Cancha Cancha River. It will take about 5 hours to reach the pictures village of the same name where we will set up camp for the night (3800m/12467ft).
After having breakfast, we will leave the campsite and begin a steep ascent to Pachacutec Pass (4458m/14625ft) the highest point of the trek. From here there are spectacular views of the snow-peaked mountain, Pitusiray, Pachacutec Lake and the surrounding valleys. After the pass, we continue walking and descend into the next valley to reach Quiswarani village (3700m/12138ft) where will spend the night. Along the route, the scenery is breathtaking – there are glacial lakes, waterfalls and snow-peaked mountains. This area is also rich in birdlife and there is a possibility of seeing Andean ibis, Andean geese and flamingoes amongst others.
We will have breakfast and start an ascent of about 3 hours to reach the Huillquijasa Pass (4200m/13779ft) the second highest pass of the trek. The views are impressive and worth the climb! After this, we descend towards the village of Cuncani, passing beautiful turquoise lakes along the way. We continue descending after Cuncani until we arrive at Lares’ Hot Springs. We will spend the night in a nearby campsite (3860m/12663ft).
After breakfast, the morning will be spent enjoying the hot springs – a well-deserved reward after the trek!!! From Lares we will take a bus* back to Cusco and will arrive late afternoon.
What is included:
- Collection from your hotel in the morning
- Transportation by bus to the start of the trail
- English speaking professional guide
- Igloo tents2 persons in each 4-person capacity tent with plenty of space for your backpacks
- Double thickness foam mattress
- Cook and Cooking equipment
- Meals (03B,03L,03D)food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking, hot drinks including coca leaf tea which is excellent for the altitude
- Teatime the first two days (tea, coffee, biscuits, popcorn)
- Dining tent with camp tables and chairs
- Kitchen tent
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
What is not included
- Breakfast on the first morning. And last day lunch
- Sleeping bags (4 season) can be hired in our office for US$12 for the 3 day trek.
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters
- Personal equipment
What you need to bring/carry:
- Sleeping bag 4 season suitable for temperatures down to -5C (can be hired from our office for US$12 for the 3 day trek)
- Sleeping mattress (we will provide you with this)
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco for a few dollars)
- Strong, comfortable footwear
- Sweater and jacket (something warm)
- Water bottle, ideally non disposable canteen
- Torch / Flashlight and batteries
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
- Sun block (sun protection cream)
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, energy bars etc,
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries, cash in soles and US$
- Swimsuit (if you plan on visiting the hot springs at Aguas Calientes after the trek)
- Optional: walking Poles /sticks (rubber covers necessary)
- You also need to bring your original passport on the trail.
Trekking & Biking
Trekking to Machu Picchu
1 Day Trekking